Outlook Anywhere is a feature by which you can access your company emails using Outlook outside the LAN. It does not require VPN etc. Outlook Anywhere is also known in other terms like RPC over HTTP, Remote Exchange etc. This feature is available in Exchange version 2003 and later.
Outlook Anywhere is not enabled by default in the Exchange Server. Below are the steps to enable Outlook Anywhere on an Exchange 2010 Server.
- Launch Exchange Management Console
- Navigate to Server Configuration -> Client Access
- Right Click on the Exchange Server on the middle pane and select Enable Outlook Anywhere
- Following are the settings you need to provide next for Outlook Anywhere to work successfully :
External host name :- This will be your Exchange server’s external host name which can be resolved over internet. Ideally this will be the domain name mentioned in your SSL certificate as well.
Authentication :- There are two types of Authentication mechanisms. They are :-
- Basic Authentication : It is generally used when the connecting computers are not the members of the domain. Also, your Exchange server will be directly connected to the internet, no proxy servers like ISA/TMG will be between your firewall and Exchange Server
- NTLM authentication : This type of authentication mechanism is used by domain members. You will have a proxy server in place in front of your Exchange server
SSL offloading :- Don’t select this option unless you’re sure that you have an SSL accelerator that can handle SSL offloading. If you don’t have an SSL accelerator that can handle SSL offloading and you select this option, Outlook Anywhere won’t function correctly.
- It will take around 15 minutes for Outlook Anywhere to get enabled. Once enabled, you will notice application logs with event id 3008 in the Exchange Server
Client side configurations :
- From Control Panel, navigate to Mail
- Add a new Exchange account
- Specify the internal hostname of the Exchange Server in the Server section and the logon name/alias in the User Name section
- When the mentioned fields are filled, the More Settings tab will be enabled. Click on the same and navigate to Connection settings -> Enable Exchange Proxy Settings under Outlook Anywhere
- Specify the external hostname of the Exchange Server in the below fields and select the configured authentication type
- Click on OK and finish the outlook configuration. Test mail flow and confirm that the outlook is working fine.